Monday, April 4, 2011

Days Six and Seven in Dominica: Hot and Cold


I only have two days to spend as I wish, so on Saturday I took advantage of an offer to go to Trafalgar Falls, just a little outside of Roseau. The bus trip to get there was in itself an adventure! The falls are in the rain forest and are actually two falls. They are spectacular. Oddly enough, beside the cool stream coming from the falls, there is a pool which is warmed by geothermal heat. This juxtaposition exists in the sulfur springs to the South as well. The hot springs have cool springs nearby. The island's volcanic origins warm only portions of the water it seems.

Sunday's trip to the sulfur springs included a quick viewing of the narrow strip of land at Scott's Head that separates the Atlantic Ocean from the Caribbean Sea as well as a drive up the precarious road to Galleon, far up the mountain where you are rewarded for your bravery with a fantastic view of the island below. Did I mention the narrow roads here? They seem that much narrower when you have a drop off of several thousand feet to one side (my side!!) and a mountain wall on the other. If you have ever been unsettled by the Fraser Canyon in British Columbia, do not take this drive! My stomach stayed in my throat for many hours afterward.

I am once again indebted to my tour guides. They took time out of their busy lives to entertain me and show off their beautiful island. I would love to return and enjoy the island at leisure. The people alone make it worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment