Friday, April 8, 2011

Day Eleven Dominica: Winding Down


Thursday was spent revisiting software and web tools with lecturers who are quickly becoming hooked on technology! Now that they have their feet under them, they came today to more fully develop what they have. Again, one lecturer was brave enough to use the technology immediately that day! However, things did not go as planned and I was called out to help. With a little encouragement, and a quick work-around, the class went forward with a healthy mix of instructional approaches: streaming video, textual reading, PowerPoint presentation and a game wrap things up!
Another lecturer wanted more information about Moodle tools, and so much of the day was spent linking to files, composing web pages, building forums and developing quizzes. It is unfortunate that the Moodle we are developing is temporary, but I do have the impression that the IT will work on getting something more permanent for the college. I really hope so.
All the while I am getting to know my Dominican counterparts very well. I know I have already said this, but the people are so very pleasant and accommodating. They love to talk about their country. There are many things that frustrate the populous, government corruption and nepotism being a common complaint. I have noticed that there is a protocol to almost everything and bureaucracy slows many things to nearly a halt. In this I can see where compliance is detrimental. I really hope that the country continues to grow, but that foreigners are no longer given freedoms that the nationals are denied.
Already I am looking at my last day at the college tomorrow and I can't help but start thinking about being home and in my own bed soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment