Thursday, July 16, 2009

Wow - was I ever wrong.

One thing I am continuously learning about myself is that I have a problem with assuming how things will be instead of being open-minded.
Today when we had a video conference with Bette from Alberta Ed. I thought - it would not be very interesting. Politician = not exciting.
But Ms Grey is not a politician, although she is certainly aware of that aspect of her position.
She was engaging and informative and entertaining.
She understood where we were coming from and gave us all the impression that not only were we being heard, but that she WANTED to hear from us.
There is too much to write about, but I really appreciated her candor. She demonstrated great leadership skills and the important message for us is that we need to be able to reframe our ideas so that a larger audience will listen to it. It isn't that we are changing our ideas, it is that we will be able to get ideas out to more people in order to get things moving forward.
What wasn't said is that we have to be ready to compromise in order to get some movement. She mentioned that problems are sometimes forgotten when solutions do not seem to be forthcoming. That told me that we cannot be so committed to our idea of change that we are willing to let the whole thing die. That will be a big lesson for all of us.
Anyway, I cannot even begin to think about all of the things I have learned from classmembers and guest speakers. I cannot believe there is only one day left. I am excited for the changes I will be bringing to the next semester and the next class we will be taking.
One more day ...

No comments:

Post a Comment