Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 3 - Questioning Project Based Learning

Day 3 already! Today was the day we really began the work on PBL. Well, not work yet, but serious preparation. My hope is to get this group collaborating with each other. Although some are sticking to their colleagues within their schools, or with friends, the rest are branching out across the room to teachers whom they have never met before this session.

The teachers I am working with are honest, sincere and truly interested in doing the best for their students. It amazed me how they face the same issues as we do in Alberta. More than one wondered if projects were worth it as they would inevitably take more time to learn concepts than the way they are teaching currently. The curriculum must be met because the students have standardized tests that must be written. They feel there is no control for the teacher to risk losing precious time. I was sorry that I did not have the answers for them. My encouragement to do the best to deliver as much of the curriculum as possible in a way that helps children gain understanding, real understanding, about the world around them was well received, but they are still hesitant.

Another concern was with group work and the possibility that one member of the group could take a ride on the work of the others. They expressed real concern that one student would have to do too much while others would not learn anything. This ignited a deep conversation about the role of the teacher and how much responsibility it is fair to place on the students. Of course there isn't one right answer to this. By the end of next week, I have a feeling this group will come up with strategies that will help them deal with all the problems that may occur while implementing Project Based Learning.

Singing praises.
While my group are working away at a project and begin to build their own projects, two of my colleagues spent two days at a school without internet. Since their sessions are about Web 2.0 tools, they were not having a great time. Yesterday one of them got her group to sing for her. It was lovely and inspired us to have a friendly competition between groups. My group took this very seriously, trying to find the best song to sing. It took far longer than I thought it would! In the end, the song was beautiful. I will share the whole Voice Thread when we have it finished with all four groups.

On a personal note, we went to Champagne Beach after work. I actually snorkeled! It is great, although I did get slightly panicky once I realized I could not stand on the bottom to be safe. This inhibited me from going the entire path, but I did see some amazing fish and the little bubbles coming up from the fissures. The water around the bubbles was so warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment