Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Subnet Masks and Assigning IP Addresses

Image by saschaaa available on Flickr at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/saschaaa/152502539/sizes/m/in/photostream/



If you are wondering what these posts have been about, please let me explain.
#1: I am working on my masters of education through the University of Lethbridge.
#2: My current course is System Development, which includes setting up a network of computers. Yesterday we programmed a switch which will be the gateway for the network my partner and I will be building over the next two weeks.

Wow! What fun, right? And just so you know, I did laugh a couple of times!

So today we rebooted the switch (which was properly programmed the day before!) and we set about connecting our laptops to the switch. We had to assign static IP addresses and ping to test connectivity. Many problems arose, but we did manage to get it mostly completed. Pinging proved problematic. I could get signal from my computer to the switch and to my partner's laptop. But he could only receive signal from the switch and not my computer. I felt certain the trouble was with the picture of an apple on the front of his laptop, but alas I was incorrect. And some of the ribbing I had given him over this was returned to me ... but only a small portion.

Turns out the trouble was with the firewall on my division-owned computer. The one that I thought I had complete administrative control over. It also turns out that I cannot turn off the firewall, but with a little playing around we discovered I could create a rule that allows ping requests be accepted and returned. That helped! But the activity to test various IP addresses and subnet masks did not work so well. We struggled with it for some time with no reliable results. On the up side we were not the only ones having trouble; on the downside we will have to pick up the pace in the course tomorrow.

Here's a test for you techies; look at the images below. What is the difference? [Hint: think fat fingers]

No comments:

Post a Comment